Thursday, May 22, 2014

Out of the Box with Alcohol Inks

   Do you watch YouTube video tutorials?  Lately, I have been addicted to watching tutorials on YouTube, and I found some fun techniques with alcohol inks.  I have a few bottles of Ranger Ink's Adirondack's Alcohol inks, but have been intimidated by those little bottles of concentrated colors.  After watching a few videos, I gathered up the courage to use the inks on a project that did NOT INCLUDE PAPER.  I have seen that Mason Jars are also a huge fade right now, and I am decorating the store window for summer.  I brainstormed, and came up with an idea.  I wanted to use the alcohol ink on glass, so I picked up a couple of glass jars.

Here's what I created.  




What do you think?  It was super simple to make, and would be a great tea light candle holder (without the lid of course).

Here are the tools I used to produce this project:

  • Mason jar
  • Bag of assorted sea shells
  • Fishing net
  • Thick twined jute
  • Ranger Ink Adirondack- Sailboat color
  • Ranger Ink Blending tool with felt attachment
  • Ranger Ink Glossy Accents.
  • Glue Gun (my new bestie)
  • Sand from the craft store

Process:
  1. Put a few dots of the color on the blending tool that has the felt piece attached to it.  
  2. Tab the ink on the glass jar to transfer the color.  I did not put the blue towards the bottom where the sand was (long messy lesson learned there).
  3. Repeat adding ink to the felt, then to the jar until the blue is as deep as you want it.
  4. Spread the Glossy Accents on the bottom section of the jar, but not on the actually bottom (flat piece) of the jar.  
  5. After the lower section of the jar is covered in Glossy Accents, coat with the sand.  (This will stay wet for at least 4 hours, you can add more Glossy Accents and sand if you see holes or want it a bit thicker.)
  6. Cut a piece of the fish net, wrap around the jar.  Trim netting to fit the jar.
  7. Add a small dot of glue from glue gun behind a few of the fish netting knots.  Only glue a few knots at a time.  If you add too much glue, it will harden up before you can press it to the glass.
  8. With the glue gun add your sea shells to the jar over/under the fish netting.
  9. Add some of the glue from the glue gun to the bottom of the lid.  Wrap the jute around the lid.  You can spiral if you want, but I cut at the end where they beginning met the end, and repeated the steps.
  10. On the very top you can add glue as you wind the jute in a circle covering the top.
Happy Crafting




No comments:

Post a Comment